Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Third time's a charm- Wilco/Neil Young MSG 12.16.08


To my great surprise, I write this after returning from the Everest/Wilco/Neil Young show at MSG tonight. Happenstance that I got a few freebies just yesterday. The show was amazing. Of course Wilco was the highlight, cranking out an abbreviated set of greatest hits, including Jeff Tweedy's son Spencer celebrating his 13th B-day right there at The Garden taking over the skins on a rousing rendition of 'Late Greats'.

This was the third time this year that I saw Wilco live. And although tonight's performance was stellar, my favorite performance was their August gig at McCarren Park Pool in Brooklyn. Mostly for the fact that we brought our 6yo twins. A proper initiation into the world of Rock and Roll. No?

As far as Neil, he was equally amazing. Opening with the feedback power ballad 'Love and Only Love', he too effortlessly breezed through his own portfolio of greatest hits including such faves as 'Powderfinger', 'Cinnamon Girl', 'Cortez the Killer' and 'Heart of Gold'.

Not sure what will wind up under the tree for me this year, but tonight was probably the best gift I could have received.

I'm just sayin'.

Wilco- Impossible Germany (2007)


Neil Young- Heart of Gold (1971)

No comments: