Friday, October 24, 2008

Same Chimp, New Bananas

Last week I was discussing the frenetic and indiscriminate nature of Actual Monkey with a regular visitor, (Yes, they exist). They commented that my musical tastes were so diverse, they were borderline schizophrenic.

Nonsense, we exclaimed.

To quiet the voices in and out of my head, I've decided to add a few new features to AM. The first is Audient Monkey. Every so often I will highlight my five favorite songs from one of the countless artists I rely on to get me through the day.

The second is the Monkey Mix Tape. In this day and age of the click and drag playlist, the art of threading a narrative through song has somehow been lost, I will rectify this.

The goal, if there is one, is to provide some semblance to the strands that comprise my musical DNA. That and the ability to haphazardly throw one up and be done with it.

I'm just sayin'.

To get this party started, here are my top 5 favorite Talking Heads songs, in no particular order. I am prompted to start with the Heads, after repeatedly hearing 'Once In A Lifetime' in the trailer for the new Oliver Stone biopic 'W.' In hindsight, they could have just used the following.

P.S. What happened to David Byrne? Guess he believed his own hype. A shame really.


Audient Monkey Vol. 1 No.1- Talking Heads

Crosseyed & Painless
I Zimbra
Burning Down The House
Once In A Lifetime
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Borderline schizophrenic? I say refreshingly eclectic!