Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wall of sound-free on bail


Phil Spector may be serving an 18 year bid for second-degree murder, but his 'wall of sound' remains free. Exhibit A is Glasgow's Indie pop sweethearts, Camera Obscura.

The band recently released their fourth LP, My Maudlin Career (4AD) just days before the legendary producer was sentenced for the murder of B-movie actress Lana Clarkson.

Abandoning much of the lush orchestration of 2006's Let's Get Out of This Country (Merge), their latest offering capitalizes on simple, breezy arrangements complimented by Tracyanne Campbell's airy vocals. Think Leslie Gore on the T.A.M.I. Show. A subtle country twang rounds things out while the 'wall of sound' production lends a nostalgic, yet authentic edge to this fine collection of dreamy, romantic pop.

Perfect for cuddling with your cell mate on those long nights in Gen. Pop.

I'm just sayin'.

My Maudlin Career

Camera Obscura- French Navy (2009)


Camera Obscura- Lloyd, I'm ready To be Heartbroken (2006)


Camera Obscura- If Looks Could Kill (2006)


Leslie Gore- You Don't Own Me (T.A.M.I. Show, 1964)


No comments: